- Grant Recipients
Applying for a Responsive Grant
Any organization meeting the basic requirements can apply for a Responsive Grant from WHF. For the best results, follow the steps outlined on this page.
Step 1: Questions to answer before applying.
- Is the organization’s mission consistent with WHF’s funding priorities?
- Does the organization meet all of WHF’s funding requirements?
- Has the applicant reviewed WHF’s strategic plan?
- Has the applicant reviewed the other considerations that WHF takes into account when making its funding decisions?
- Is the applicant familiar with WHF’s current Grant Cycle Calendar?
- Has the applicant downloaded and examined the “LOI Worksheet?”
Please note: To access saved work on a Letter of Intent or review past grant applications, log in here.
The process of applying for a Responsive Grant begins with the submission of WHF's online Letter of Intent. For more information about the Foundation’s timelines, please see the 2015 Grant Cycle Calendar.
A LOI should identify the need, target population, and strategy for addressing the need. Additionally, the applicant should outline a program budget, document any other sources of funding, and illustrate any collaboration with other agencies. For ongoing programs, the LOI should also include evidence that WHF funding would not supplant existing funding for the agency or program.
When submitting a Letter of Intent, please attach the following forms. If the Program Budget, Expense Narrative, or Income Forms are submitted in any other format than that which the Foundation has provided, the LOI will not be reviewed.
- WHF Program Budget Form
- WHF Program Expense Narrative Form
- WHF Program Income Form
- Agency IRS Determination Letter - Attach an electronic copy of an IRS Determination Letter to the LOI. Mailed copies are also acceptable. An IRS Determination Letter is not required for government entities.
Need Help With An Application? The Foundation's program officers are not able to review LOI's prior to submission, but they are available to answer general questions about the Foundation's interests or its application process. To ask questions, call (757) 345-0912 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step 3: LOI Review and Potential Full Application Invitation
After the LOI submission deadline has passed, WHF program officers will review all of the submitted LOIs. After this review, the Foundation will contact applicants via email to inform them of their status.
For those organizations that are invited to submit a Full Grant Application, additional information will be sent by email. An invitation to submit a Full Grant Application does not mean the submission will result in funding.
Step 4: Note Updated Responsive Grant Policies
WHF's Board of Trustees recently restructured several important elements of WHF's Responsive Grants program.
These changes are designed to provide the Foundation with flexibility to address evolving health care priorities and to better serve the long-term needs of the community. Achieving these goals will enable WHF to support innovation and sustained excellence, while encouraging continuous improvement.
- Approved Responsive Grants may receive up to four consecutive years of funding.
- As with current policy, an agency may apply each of the four years the program is eligible.
- After the first year, programs may receive up to 75% of the original grant for the second year; 50% the third year; and 25% in the final year of eligibility.
To ask questions about WHF's Responsive Grants, please contact one of the Foundation's program officers at (757) 345-0912.